Hello Lovelies, hope all of you are happy, healthy and fabulous.🤗💕
Let’s talk moisture and our skin. Moisture plays a key role in our skins health, it’s what keeps us looking vibrant, glowing, youthful and it also helps keep the skin plump, and yes even those with oily skin need to moisturize [helps with over production of sebum] There are 3 different types of moisturizers|Humectants•Occlusive Agents•Emollients| each moisturizer has its own properties [obviously]
*I’m not really going to talk about skin types in this post, I’ll save that for another*
*Below are my illustrations of each moisturizer and how they sit on and interact with skin.*
- Humectants: Works as a magnet, drawing water in from the surrounding environment, as well as deep from within the skin. Glycerin is one of the more common and effective binding agents. There are others such as sugars [glucose, fructose, sucrose & honey ( food humectants are used for the purpose of controlling texture and viscosity)] along with amino acids proteins, elastin and collagen. PROS•Smooth Texture|CONS•Can cause skin to be dry with prolonged use|
Example: Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto Replenishing Hydrator•La Mer Crème de la mer Moisturizing Cream•Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion for all skin types.
- Occlusive Agents: Works as a physical block, preventing water from evaporating from the skin to keep it hydrated, sort of like a film or shield over the skin and act as a barrier function. The most effective occlusives are petrolatum, some others are mineral oil, lanolin, and silicones PROS•Effective|CONS•Tacky/Heavy Feel|
Example: Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment•Pond’s Dry Skin Cream Facial Moisturizer•Alastin Skincare Moisturizer.
- Emollients: Fills in cracks of the skin barrier, which helps to reduce water loss and softens the appearance and texture of skin, they can also help skin feel less irritated. They help smooth the scales of the skin, which helps reduce rough and flaky skin. PROS•Skin Softening•Smooth|
Example: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer•Skyn Iceland Oxygen Infusion Night Cream w/ Glacial Flower Extract•Aveeno Smart Essentials Daily Nourishing Moisturizer.
So you maybe asking which moisturizer is best for which skin type? I’ll go over this quickly since I want to do a post on skin types.
- Dry Skin: Humectant and Occlusive Moisturizers
- Oily Skin: Emollients and Humectants (think light and oil-free)
- Combo Skin: This is tricky because you don’t want something heavy on your oily skin parts, but you need something to help with the dry areas. You can try using 2 different moisturizers like you would if you did masks for different areas of you face, or you cant try to find a super hydrating oil-free moisturizer that isn’t heavy and then maybe do a moisturizing sleep mask at night like the Skyn Iceland Oxygen Infusion Night Cream (< I’m trying this one out right now and I am loving everything about it so far, texture, consistency and the fact it’s not heavy or greasy feeling) or Laneige Water Sleeping Mask.
- Sensitive Skin: Go simple, the fewer ingredients the less possibility of a bad reaction. Try to avoid the classic irritants such as fragrance and lanolin (< occlusive) Hypoallergenic and fragrance free. Your best bet would probably be an emollient. However make sure to do a small patch test and wait 24 hours to see how your skin reacts, we don’t need your whole face getting upset and irritated.
- Mature Skin: Since skin tends to lose moisture as we age, so finding a moisturizer that helps lock-in moisture. The best would be going in with a light but super moisturizing moisturizer in the AM and then a nice semi-heavy cream-like one at night. In the PM go in with a moisturizing cream at night gives your skin a chance to soak up and retain even more moisture.
- Normal Skin: Any type is fine, just tailor to what your skin and you want and/or needs.
OK! I feel like I’ve rambled on long enough about the 3 types of moisturizers *remember you can tailor any of these moisturizers and any other skincare product to your needs. Once you find the right combo your skin will be happy, hydrated, plump and glowing* I hope y’all found this some what informative or amusing, either way I hope you all enjoyed reading this post. Also *CREDIT to all owners of the images I didn’t take myself*
Until Next Post. XOXO💋